We are using the cloud based JIRA, and I have created a custom field, "Test Environment" that is optional. by that I mean I want the field to appear in the Create Issue screen and also show in the Issue Summary.
First I created the field as a Label type with no default value. The intention here was that the issue creator could specify at the time of the issue entry what Test Environment they were using, or could leave it blank if that information wasn't known or not applicable. My problem here is that if the field doesn't have a default value then it doesn't appear in the Issue Summary and can therefore not be edited later by users.
So I gave it a default value of "None_Specified". This is not a desirable work around, but at least the field would then appear on all subsequent issues that were created in their respective Issue Summaries. However, if you were to edit the field on the Issue Summary and remove the "None_Specified" and accidentally press enter or something before entering a new string, the field then disappears.
So I am looking for the proper way to make sure this field ALWAYS shows up regardless of its content. If the answer involves making it required, how would I get around the forced default value issue?
Thanks.