Can I adjust the descriptions for specific questions in a Jira form based on a previous answer? Ie. I'd like to use conditional logic to showcase certain description text in a Jira form.
Hello @Sargun
What type of Space does this concern? Click the ellipsis button next to the Space name in the navigation panel on the left. What do the last two lines in the pop-up say? It will be something like:
Software spaceCompany-managed
Forms functionality differs between Software and Service Spaces, so the type of the Space will affect the answer we provide.
Thanks @Trudy P Claspill
This concerns a company-manged software space!
Thank you for the additional information.
I believe that condition logic is available natively in forms only within Service projects? I don't have access to my Jira sites at the moment to double check.
Have you already implemented conditional logic in your form in your software project?
If not, then the answer to your question is no.
I just found this document that indicates conditional logic is available in forms in Software projects.
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/conditionally-show-form-fields/
But only a few field types are supported as the basis for the condition.
This page states that you can change the name and description shown for a field in a form in a software project
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manage-your-form-fields/
However other information I'm finding indicates that you can't insert a Jira issue field on a form more that once, even if you use conditional logic.
The work arounds available involve creating multiple form-only fields instead or using multiple custom Jira issue fields. You could then implement an automation flow possibly to copy the data from the non-empty field to your main Jira issue field.
Hi @Sargun
For a Jira Software project, this isn’t really possible with the native Jira form functionality today. Native forms are fairly limited when it comes to using conditional logic for dynamic guidance text or changing descriptions based on earlier answers.
One workaround you might consider is Smart Forms for Jira, developed by my team. In Smart Forms, you can use conditional logic not only for questions, but also for content elements such as text blocks, headings, instructions, or embedded content.
So instead of changing the description of the same question, you can build it like this:
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.