Hi everyone! đ
Weâve all been there: A stakeholder asks to track one more metric, and suddenly your "simple" Kanban board has 15 statuses and a workflow that requires a PhD to understand.
According to recent Atlassian State of Product 2026 insights, nearly 40% of teams struggle with prioritizing features, and complex workflows are often the bottleneck. In 2026, the goal isn't just trackingâit's flow.
Here are three principles Iâm using to keep Jira fast, useful, and sane.
Whatâs your biggest challenge with Jira configurations in 2026? Are you Team-Managed or Company-Managed? Letâs discuss in the comments! đ
#Jira #AtlassianCommunity #JiraAutomation #BestPractices #Agile
Â
Yes to all of this!One of the first things I did with my inherited instance (several years ago now) was simplify our workflows, and I'm so glad I did. The number of "Why can't I move this to [X] status?" requests dropped off.
Cool workflow tricks and nifty automations are only useful if they serve the real life people and processes they enable.
@Anne Saunders
Iâve run into the same issue several times, and honestly, youâre right â the best first step is simplifying and standardizing the workflows. People usually resist it at first because nobody likes change, but once things become more streamlined and easier to use, they end up appreciating it in the long run.
Yes, this is a still very valid topic - even after years.
To all said I agree. We also agree that every workflow that cannot be explained in 20-40 seconds is heading for a different aim than supporting a team/process.
I completely agree with @Daniel Ebers point. A workflow should be easy enough to explain that users understand not only where an issue can move, but also why each status exists.
One thing Iâve found useful is asking stakeholders to justify every status with a real decision, handoff, SLA or reporting need. If a status exists only because âweâve always had it,â itâs usually a good candidate for removal đ
Simpler workflows are not just easier for users, theyâre also easier to maintain, automate and report on đ
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.