Hi all — looking for war stories from anyone running Jira Cloud at scale.
Over the last year I've seen a few orgs hit the same wall with Atlassian Automation. Curious whether this matches what you're seeing, or whether I'm looking at edge cases.
The pattern, roughly:
- Org has 3-10 Jira instances (acquisitions, regional splits, JSM separated from Software, sandbox + prod)
- Each instance accumulates 50-300 Automation rules over time
- Nobody knows which rules exist, who owns them, when they last fired, or whether they overlap with rules in another instance
- A rule breaks silently → someone notices weeks later when a workflow stops behaving
- Someone needs to migrate a rule from staging to prod → there's no proper diff, just hope and the audit log
- Compliance asks "show me all rules that touch customer PII" → someone exports JSON and grep-s it
A few specific questions:
- How are you currently auditing your Automation rules? Spreadsheet? Confluence page that's already stale? An app I haven't found?
- How do you migrate rules between instances? The new public REST APIs help but they're not a workflow. Are you scripting it, manually re-creating, or shipping rules via Forge?
- Do you version your rules? Git? Confluence history? Just hope?
- When a rule breaks, how do you know? Is there an actual alerting story, or is it incident-driven?
- Has anyone tried building this in-house? I'm aware Adaptavist has bits of this, ScriptRunner can audit some of it, and there are a couple of governance apps for older Jira features — but I haven't found anything Cloud-native that treats rules as a managed asset.
I'm asking because I'm thinking about building tooling for this and want to know whether I'm solving a real problem or imagining one. Honest "we just don't have this problem" replies are as useful as the war stories.
[link and CTA removed]
Thanks.