When the work item is created (via the portal), the automation properly sets the Approver Group. The emailed notification for the approval is sent.
However, the email doesn’t have the Approve/Deny buttons.

If I remove the Approvals Group after the request is created, then re-add either the same group or a different one, the notification does seem to work properly, it just doesn't work upon creation.

Customer Notification settings:
- Approval Required - Enabled
- Security settings - Approvers can use without being signed in
- (I also tried Approvers must be signed in, no difference)

Workflow settings:
- The initial status has Approval enabled and the approver source is set to Approver Groups


Automation rule:
- If Request Type = Remote Server Access
- Then edit work item field: Approver Groups = IT Management

Other notes:
- If an approver looks at the request in either the portal or the work item view, the approve/deny buttons are there, as expected.
- Email notification
- The email address that sends the notification upon creation has the alias Automation for Jira, but the actual automation rule doesn't include sending an email.
- The alias in the email sent if I remove then re-add the Approver Group on an existing ticket is the Portal name.
- Both emails are the Approval Needed email, I can tell by the body text. It's just whether or not the buttons are there.
- I tried changing the automation to use a different group for the Approver Group, no difference.
- It used to work. It's not a frequently used form, and it's currently the only one that requires approval, but throughout testing and the first couple submissions, it worked. Last time was early February. I have no idea what could have affected it.
When I searched for similar situations, most of what I found was about the notification not arriving at all (usually because of workflow settings or customer notification settings). I saw some with the notification security setting set to no buttons, one where the people in the approver group didn't have the customer role (in my situation, initially one of the three people in the group had the customer role, but everyone got the same email, same after I added the customer role to the other two). Or it was from long enough ago that it wasn't really applicable anymore.