I don't have the option to Bulk Edit Work Items from search results. Has this option been moved?I have checked and I do have admin rights.
Does anyone have recommendations?
Hi Glenell,
You are probably lacking the Global Make bulk changes permission. That must be granted by a Jira Admin. Navigation is Settings > System > Global Permissions > Make bulk changes.
It's my understanding that Atlassian is releasing a new bulk change experience, try selecting the the checkboxes for the items you want to change, it'll then show you a pop up bar at the bottom of the Filter with options like "Edit" , "Change Status" etc.
Hi @GlenellRosburg
As @John Funk mentioned , you need the global "Make Bulk Changes" permission in addition to project-level permissions.
In the new Jira experience
@GlenellRosburg Make sure you have Make Bulk Changes permission enabled under Global Permissions. If you don’t have access, please check with your Jira Admin and request them to grant it
Hi @GlenellRosburg,
The other replies already cover the most likely fix (the Make Bulk Changes global permission), so I won't rehash that. But one thing worth clarifying since it catches a lot of people off-guard: Jira now has two different bulk edit experiences, and where you're looking matters.
1. The new inline bulk edit (inside a project's List view, Backlog, or Board): Select items via checkboxes, and a toolbar appears at the bottom with Edit, Change Status, etc. This only works inside a project view.
2. The classic Bulk Change wizard (from Work item search): Click the ⋯ (three-dot menu) in the top-right area of your search results and choose Bulk change work items. This launches the multi-step wizard you're probably used to.
If you're specifically trying to bulk edit from search results, it's option 2 you want. If that "..." menu is missing or the option is greyed out, that circles back to the global permission the others mentioned.
One nuance: if you're in the newer All Work tab within a project (rather than the global Work item search), bulk actions use option 1 instead, via checkbox selection and the bottom toolbar.
Hope that clears up the confusion!
Best, Paul
@GlenellRosburg One more thing that might help, especially if bulk editing is something you do regularly: you might find a spreadsheet-style approach more intuitive than the built-in wizard.
If you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, JXL lets you edit issues inline in a table view, similar to how you'd work in Excel or Google Sheets. Double-click a cell to change a value, or select a range and paste from a spreadsheet. No wizard, no confirmation screens.
It works with any JQL filter, so you can scope it to whatever set of issues you need.
Disclosure: I work for the team that builds JXL.
Cheers, Paul
Thank you!
Thank you! I'll ask for permissions as they must have been revoked.
Hmmm... This isn't working for me yet. I'll watch out for this functionality.
Thanks for the JXL tip. I'm not sure this is what I need at this time.
You are welcome and best of luck!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.