Hi Community!
Just to inform you if you are using the closed beta backup option to store confluence backup to an external aws s3 bucket of your company:
The attachments are not copied into the s3 bucket - only references are stored.
I tripped over this because the size shown in the atlassian confluence backend and the usage size of my s3 bucket differed huge - so about 4.9GB vs. 43MB.
As I opened up a ticket about this the support confirmed that checking the "include attachments" does not really store the attachment files into your bucket but only a reference to the attachment withing atlassian s3 storage.
This is a huge difference as I am not in control where and how the real attachment file is stored.
So to be precisly the info here:
https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/what-data-is-backed-up-and-restored/
is wrong - because “attachments” are not backed up - only reference is stored - this is misleading as one would always think that attachments are within the bucket.
For an external backup and the option "include attachments" I would definitly think that most admins assume after backup all data is within my private external bucket.
If you are using this backup-feature - did you know and how do you think about it now?
Greetings from austria
-Wolfgang