Hello Atlassian team 👋
I have run into repeated breaking behavior changes in the Jira Cloud API without any obvious contract/versioning signal, and it is causing avoidable failures in our integration.
Most recently, I hit cases where request shapes that worked previously started failing unless fields were sent explicitly as `null` instead of being omitted. This changed runtime behavior in a way that broke our existing client logic even though the integration had been working before.
This kind of change is difficult for integrators because:
- it breaks production workflows unexpectedly
- it is not obvious from the previous API behavior
- it forces emergency client patches for what appears to be a server-side contract shift
What I need from Atlassian:
1. please avoid silent breaking changes in Jira Cloud API request/response behavior 😊
2. if behavior must change, please communicate it clearly and ahead of time
3. please document whether fields must be omitted vs explicitly set to `null`
4. please confirm the expected contract for optional and nullable fields across Jira Cloud endpoints
Concrete example:
- issue comments / issue update flows started behaving differently depending on whether optional fields were omitted or explicitly sent as `null`
- this required code changes on our side for behavior that had previously worked
Please let me know:
- whether this is an intentional API contract change
- where such changes are announced
- what stability guarantees I should rely on for Jira Cloud integration
Thanks 🤗
Michal Jarnot