I'm using Jira Automation to create a ticket in another space and project, after the current one is closed. Basic gist of it is that when we have a ticket created for a new account, I need to send another ticket over to a queue that does something else with those accounts after they're created.
The request from the dev team is simple: Create a description that has the user's name, email address, and manager, in YAML format. I'm using the API to create the ticket, because it's in a different space, and it works great, except for the fact that it's formatting the email address, and the result looks like this:
Name: Test Testuser
Email: [ttestuser@domain.com|mailto:ttestuser@domain.com]
Starting Date: 13/04/2026
Hiring Manager: Manager Name
The applicable piece of the API POST:
"description": {
"content": [
{
"content": [
{
"text": "{{#jsonEncode}}Name: {{newHireInfo.Name}}\n
Email: {{newHireInfo.Email}}\n
Starting Date: {{newHireInfo.StartDate}}\n
Hiring Manager: {{newHireInfo.Manager}}{{/jsonEncode}}",
"type": "text"
}
],
"type": "paragraph"
}
],
"type": "doc",
"version": 1
},How can I format this in such a way that it doesn't try to add a mailto link when the ticket is submitted? I assume I could try adding a {noformat} to it, but I'm worried this may affect their ability to automatically process the ticket.
EDIT: I seem to have forgotten to mention that I already validated all of these fields and the email address field itself is JUST the email address, not [ttestuser@domain.com|mailto:ttestuser@domain.com].
{{newHireInfo.Email}} = "ttestuser@domain.com", period, end of story. The formatting is being added at the time of ticket creation (or comment creation, in the case of my testing by posting the data into comments).
On some further research, it appears that this is the result of Smart Linking, and I'm not sure if there's a way to prevent it.