Hello - I'm working in Jira Cloud with a new-ish company-managed scrum project. I don't recall having the following problem at prior companies with their instances of Jira Cloud. As you can see in the screenshot, I have the Backlog status unmapped because I have no need to map an item in Backlog status to a scrum board column.
My problem is that having the Backlog status unmapped is preventing items in that status from showing up in the backlog list. However, If I map the Backlog status to a column on the board, then those items appear in the backlog list. Additionally, when I pull backlog items into a sprint, the status remains "Backlog" rather than updating to the first status on the board (Selected For Development).
What I'm trying to accomplish:
- When creating a new work item, default status is Backlog
- All items with status Backlog appear in the backlog list
- When a backlog item is assigned to a sprint, the item's status defaults to the first status on the board (in my case, Selected For Development)
I've checked my board filter and it does not appear to be filtering out Backlog status items.
I was away from Jira for the 2nd half of 2025 so maybe something has changed or maybe my memory of prior behavior is not accurate. Any insights from the community will be very much appreciated!

