How do I insert a "last updated" date field into the top of a Confluence page so I can see how old the content is i.e. does it need a review / update ?
@Michael Green Does the updated date at the top of the page not work? Do you use the content manager to see last updated and last visited? https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/manage-your-content-tree/
Hi @Michael Green ,
If your goal is simply:
“I want to know when and by whom this page was last edited.”
https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-change-history-macro/
Then the proper solution is to use Page history / Change history, instead of inserting a manual “Last updated” field in the page body, because:
Page history is system‑maintained, no need for manual updates
It shows every version with timestamp, author, and diff
The line under the title “Last updated … by …” is driven by this history
@Brant Schroeder Here is what I see at the top of a new confluence page someone has created. So its NOT obvious at all when the page was last updated. So I want to be able to add a date field value (automatically updated) that shows the last time the page was updated ..... in a very obvious plae at the top of the page.
@Michael Green at the top of the page in the right hand corner you should see the last published date. This shows when it was last updated (see below). Are you not seeing that?
@Ollie Guan The whole point was NOT to be hardcoding a date but have it automatically updated. Was that unclear in my original post ?
Yes - but as per my post i wanted in the top of the content. Other googling I've done and Atlassian pages say there is a field that can be inserted.... but it didn't work. Are those pages wrong / out of date ?
Hello @Michael Green
Just use change history macro or external app from marketplace.
Function was on Data Center, no idea if it will come back.
Hi @Michael Green
I'm thinking ... what's the use case of having this on an individual page... as you need to physically load that page in the browser to see the information?
As has been suggested, Content Manager (Confluence native feature), is a better solution than having the last updated field on every page. And that's because you can filter all pages in the space and have an instance overview of what needs to be reviewed.
You can also create a single page with Cards and Last Updates macros to monitor pages that are 'last updated' and review them (more on this here).
Having said all of that...
As tech writer/content architect, I do no subscribe to the idea of 'checking the pages that haven't been updated since date / in time period'. (Unless it's demanded by compliance regulations).
Time does not invalidate content.
I worked on product documentation that had pages 40 YEARS old. And they're still up to date. (mainframe software).
I strongly recommend to create a process that ensures that every update/deprecation/new page creation is processed when the actual circumstances require it - change of policy, change in product, etc. That's how you avoid wasting time on checking on finding and checking pages against the reality... just because a certain amount of time passed.
Hello,
We have a free app with a macro that inserts the version creation date, which is what you are looking for I believe.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1229624/softcomply-toolbox-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview
Matteo
Hi @Kris Klima _K15t_
I totally forgot about this feature.
Thanks for reminding me.
@Marc -Devoteam- You're welcome
App documentationComprehensive set of documentation from the partner on how this app works
The page can’t be found.
@Matteo Gubellini _SoftComply_ Can you please fix your doco links ?
Apologies, we are on it.
@Michael Green There's a hacky way to do it.
You can insert a "Contributors" macro, then set the properties to "sort by update" and "Show last contribution time".
It's not exactly what you (and I) actually want, but it seems to be as close as we can get.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.