Hi everyone,
I’m currently working on structuring data inside Jira/Confluence for a use case that behaves a lot like “product variations,” and I’m running into scalability and organization issues.
Context
We have entities that share a common base (think of them like a single product), but each variation (e.g., size, type, version) is currently being tracked as a separate item.
At first this worked fine, but as the number of variations grows, it’s starting to create:
- Too many individual issues/pages
- Difficulty navigating between related items
- Redundant data across entries
- More maintenance effort when updates are needed
What I’m Trying to Achieve
Ideally, I’d like to create a structure where:
- Related items are logically grouped (without losing flexibility)
- Users can easily switch between variations (or related records)
- Updates can be handled efficiently without duplicating effort
- The setup remains scalable as new variations are added frequently
Approaches I’ve Considered
- Using custom fields or labels to group related issues
- Creating a parent-child hierarchy (epics, subtasks, or linked issues)
- Leveraging Confluence pages with structured templates
- Automations to maintain relationships dynamically
Where I Need Advice
- What’s the most maintainable way to model “variations” in Jira or Confluence?
- Has anyone implemented a dynamic grouping system that scales well over time?
- Are there recommended patterns using issue linking vs custom fields vs hierarchy?
- At what point does it make sense to move this kind of structure outside Jira entirely?
Goal
I’m trying to avoid a setup that becomes hard to manage as things grow, while still keeping everything organized and easy to navigate for the team.