Hi everyone,
I’m trying to set up conditional validations for our Jira workflows. Due to budget constraints, we cannot use paid third-party plugins (like ScriptRunner or JMWE), so I'm trying to rely strictly on native features.
The workaround I've been using is based on this Atlassian article.
If I need a validation to trigger only when Field X is NOT Value Y, I create a duplicate transition and use condition rules to hide/show the appropriate path.


However, I am running into three major roadblocks with this approach:
Limitation 1: Single-value restrictions. The native condition rule doesn't let you pick multiple values for a field. If my condition needs to be "Field X is NOT Value Y OR Z," I have to create multiple duplicate transitions. This gets messy quickly and leads directly to the next problem.
Limitation 2: Hiding the original transition. To ensure users take the correct transition path, you must add an inverse condition to the original transition (e.g., "Field X IS Value Y" to hide it). But what if the rule is "Field X is NOT Value Y OR Z"? Because you can only pick one value in the restriction rule, you cannot hide the original transition for both cases (Value Y and Value Z). This leaves a loophole where users can use the wrong transition.
Limitation 3: Global Transitions (Any to X). What do we do if the conditional validation needs to happen on a transition coming from Any status to Status X? Unlike standard transitions, Jira does not allow you to create two different Global Transitions pointing to the same destination status. Therefore, the duplicate transition workaround is impossible here.
Has anyone else fought against these specific native restrictions? Or does anyone have a different creative approach to achieve conditional validations without relying on paid apps?
Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Regards