Hi everyone,
I'm trying to rename our project key on our Jira cloud instance (free plan), but I'm getting the error: "Project 'Test' uses this project key."
I've done the following to investigate:
- Checked all active projects in Manage Spaces — none use the target key
- Checked Trash — several projects present, none with the target key
- Checked Archive — empty
- Ran a JQL query against the target key — returned the error "The value does not exist for the field 'project'", confirming no live project holds it
It appears the key is being held at system level, likely from a project that has already been permanently deleted.
We need this specific key as we have automations with char limits that will be impacted by a longer key.
Has anyone experienced this and found a resolution? Is there any way to release a reserved project key on a free plan without raising a support ticket?
Thanks