Hi everyone,


I’m particularly confused about the distinction between Jira and Jira Service Management (JSM) licensing/projects:
- We primarily use JSM for our work (service requests, incidents, etc.).
- We also create some work management projects (both company-managed and team-managed), which later appear as business spaces.
- We do not use typical software development features in Jira such as Advanced Roadmaps, sprints, epics, or complex board configurations. Most of our boards, lists, calendars, and other views are now managed within JSM.
When I filtered our spaces/instances, I found:
- No active software projects
- Several business spaces (which seem to fall under Jira)
Support mentioned that these business spaces are technically tied to Jira projects/licensing. This feels like an indirect way of pushing us to maintain (and pay for) a separate Jira license even though our actual usage is almost entirely within JSM.
Could someone help clarify how we can accurately determine what we really need to renew? Specifically:
- Are these business/work management spaces truly requiring a separate Jira Software license?
- Is there a clean way to confirm our footprint and avoid over-licensing?
I’ve attached a few screenshots showing the space filters, project types, and the support response for reference.
Thanks in advance for any guidance or insight!