Hey folks,
This is very strange behavior and gets complicated, I'll do my best to describe with proper Jira terminology.
I am working in a jira "space", and have a board / backlog view based on a simple JQL filter (project = xyz AND Type In (Story, "Testing Impact", Spike, Bug, Epic) ORDER BY Rank ASC).
I am splitting the current work that lives in the space in half, and dividing my large team into 2 smaller teams. I'm trying to segregate the work such that I have 2 distinct views, 1 for each team. My goal is to have a backlog and sprint board unique to each team.
So I created a 2nd "board".
2nd board filter is just like above, but added AND component = Forms
1st (original) board filter, added AND component != Forms
My goal is to have everything with a component of 'forms' go to 2nd board, where everything else (could be multiple component values, or blank component value) goes to the 1st board.
When I made these change the results were:
- Anything with a blank component field gets dropped from the view of board 1 (which is new behavior)
- Anything with a component value = 'Forms' gets routed to board 2 (expected)
- When I create a new ticket in either board, with a blank component field, they disappear, and are not viewable in either board
So I adjust 1st board query to AND component != Forms OR component IS empty. Now the 1st board will not render on screen at all, it's broken. But the new filter results show up in the filter screen while I am revising the JQL for the filter query.
I thought about setting up the component field with a required input, such that when you create a new ticket, the user has to select a component value, before saving the ticket, the forcing each board filter to use either/or a certain component, but seems I don't have the ability to set required entry fields based on the way my org has the project set up. I don't think I'll be able to get that changed, so this isn't a viable alternative.
Maybe it's a simple query update but I'm lost, but please help!