Here are two pages as an example in our public knowledge base, which do not have the same font rendering. Has anyone an idea what the cause is and how to fix it?
https://netxautomation.atlassian.net/wiki/x/OABXOg
https://netxautomation.atlassian.net/wiki/x/rIDHO
I cannot figure out what the difference is. It seems that the whole content of some pages has smaller font sizes. Even the editor shows a smaller font size.
And idea?
Hello @Robert Schneider
It looks like you’re seeing two different editor/page types in Confluence Cloud.
Most likely cause: Legacy editor vs. new Cloud editor
Some pages are still in the legacy editor (often older/migrated pages or pages copied from older templates). Those pages can render with a smaller base font and you’ll notice it even in edit mode, exactly like you described.
How to check quickly
Open the page Edit
If it looks like the older editor UI / you see any hint about converting, it’s a legacy page.
Compare with a page that looks “normal” (new editor UI).
FixConvert the “small font” pages to the new editor:
Atlassian doc: Convert pages to the new editor
Once both pages are in the same editor, typography usually becomes consistent.
Also worth checking (less common): Include Page / embedded content
If the “small font” content is coming in via Include Page (or similar embedding), there’s a known case where included content can render smaller.
Workaround (if that’s your case): avoid including that page, or move the content directly, until it’s resolved.
Practical tip to stop it spreading
If people create new pages by copying an older “small font” page, the copy can inherit the legacy format. Best fix is:
Convert the source/template page first, then copy from that.
Hope it helps. Have a great Day
Thanks for that. They are both updated and do not use the legacy editor. I have converted many pages already, but the result varies. Sometimes I have the normal, sometimes I have the lower font size. Even editing does not change it.
@Robert Schneider
if both pages are already in the new editor, then the “randomly smaller font” is very likely Compact Mode / compact density (a newer page-level setting). Converted pages can end up with compact density enabled, which makes everything look smaller including in edit mode.
Did you checked that ? https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Confluence-articles/New-feature-Compact-Mode-and-Max-Width-to-support-information/ba-p/3190468
That's it, as it seems! Didn't know that.
A bit strange is, that I thought I see this behaviour for a longer time. Not just since 11.02.2026 - the date of the article. Anyway, now I know what I can do to fix it.
Thank you very much!
Hi Robert,
I would first check for hidden formatting. Sometimes content copied from another page, Word, Google Docs, or an older Confluence editor keeps inline styles that affect font size.
A quick test: copy the content into a plain text editor, then paste it into a new Confluence page and compare the rendering.
If this is for a public knowledge base and consistent styling matters, our app Public Pages for Confluence may also be relevant
@Arkadiusz Wroblewski We see the same problem and after the forced conversion to the new editor in our cloud instance it still persists. Pages which used to be in the legacy editor before the force conversion date still have a smaller font and even opening, editing and saving them does not change that. Did you by any chance observe this bahaviour too? If so, any more ideas how to fix it. It's not a major thing but nevertheless it is unnerving. I'd appreciate your input, thanks.
Edit: I overlooked the hint concerning text density. Not a place I would have look at but it did the trick.
Happy to hear that
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.