Hi, how are you?
Our team’s current intake system consists of a person sending an email to a gmail address and waiting on a reply.
I’ve set up an automation to create a Jira issue by using a webhook to an appscript I have in google workspace. It works by labeling these emails and uploading the labels once a Jira issue is created.
Although it works, in Jira Data Center we used to have an automation that allowed us to have the reporter as the person that sent the email (now it’s only automation for Jira, even though I’ve tried changing this field in the automation, I got some errors) and any updates/comments on the issue would be sent back to the reporter. Plus, any attachments in the email would pass through as attachments in the Jira issue.
Also, ideally the automation should allow those who aren't Jira savvy to reply to the email and have their input saved as a comment on the Jira issue and give acknowledgement when a issue is done.
Rovo told me this:
---------------------
Short answer:
Yes, you can get very close to your old Data Center behavior on Cloud, but not with Jira Software alone. To truly have:
- reporter = email sender (even if they don’t have a Jira license)
- replies to emails added as comments
- automatic “request received” + “request resolved” acknowledgements
…the native way is to introduce a Jira Service Management (JSM) project as the email front door, and (if you want) keep the current space as the internal delivery project.
Below I’ll explain why you’re hitting limits now, then outline two concrete architectures:
- Recommended: JSM email channel + current space as internal project
- Fallback (Jira Software only): keep your Apps Script + mail handler tricks, with some trade‑offs
---------------------
Is this accurate? Isn't there really a way to replicate the old Data Center behavior without creating a new space? Mind you, I'm not a Jira admin and I don't have the permission to create a new space.