Hi Community,
I’m looking for guidance on how to manage Marketplace app licensing costs in Confluence Cloud.
Our organization has around 10,000 Confluence users, but only 500 users actually need access to a specific Marketplace app. Since Atlassian’s licensing model requires apps to match the full Confluence user tier, it appears we would be billed for all 10,000 users even though only a small group would use/need the app.
I’m trying to understand whether there are supported options to limit licensing or access so we can avoid paying for all users. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:
Apps cannot be installed for only a subset of users; once installed, they are available site‑wide. And Vendors may offer in‑app permission restrictions, but this does not reduce licensing.
Given all this, I’m wondering whether there are any best practices or recommended approaches for organizations wanting to provide an app only to a smaller group without incurring full‑site licensing costs.
For example:
Is it possible or advisable to create a separate Confluence Cloud site within the same organization and license the app only for that site’s 500 users?
I understand apps can be installed per site, and sites can be managed under the same Atlassian organization.
Are there any new billing features, app license scoping options, or upcoming changes that would help in scenarios like this?
Are other customers using any effective workarounds or architectural patterns to manage cost when only a subset needs a Marketplace app?
I’d really appreciate any guidance, recommended approaches, or confirmation of whether the separate‑site approach is the only viable option for cost reduction.
Thanks in advance!
Shaily