How difficult is it to setup a test environment; and how to transfer to production
Jen,
I'm not sure if you're doing this in JIRA Cloud or on a server. If Cloud... can't help you there. If it's on your own server I do this all the time myself and it is, with JIRA, surprisingly easy. The steps I take are:
NOTES:
<jira-home>/caches directory
<jira-home>/plugins/.osgi-plugins directory
<jira-home>/plugins/.bundled-plugins directory
<jira-install>/work directory
When it's time to transfer to production... perhaps it's an awful hack but when I am happy with the migration and it's flawless after testing... I do the following:
You CAN do this with a DNS Alias change but I found that the IP address swap had the new JIRA server come up without having to re-establish application links to anything and Crowd just happily authenticated users to it without having to reconnect the Crowd server as its user authority. With the DNS alias change you have to reconnect applications and tell Crowd about the new server.
This approach is also great if you want to slide a new OS and/or Database server under your JIRA application. For.... reasons... I've used this approach to go from CentOS and MySQL to Windows and PostgreSQL and to where it is now, Debian with PostgreSQL
Let me know if this helps
mike
Thanks Mike, we need it for cloud but this is a great reference to have. Much appreciated.
For Cloud, there's no concept of "test" - a Cloud system is a Cloud system. You can use it for whatever you want! So, if you set up two Cloud accounts, one production and one test, you can work in them separately, but your options to transfer between them are very limited - you'll be doing config and setup mostly by hand (or merging in local dev systems before re-uploading)
Got it, thanks so much Nic you are right on point
Hi @Mike Rathwell
many thanks for these awesome instructions for Jira. Is the approach for Confluence and Bitbucket rather similar, if you have got any experiences regarding that matter?(I know the post is like 4 years old, but is suits so well ).
My best
Merve
Hi @Merve Nur Bas ,
I can't speak, to Bitbucket as I have never run one of those BUT it is largely the same for Confluence. The only delta is that it is a different cache blast for Confluence. In the Confluence case:
<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins<confluence-home>/plugins-cache<confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache<confluence-home>/plugins-temp<confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_language
Thanks a lot! Really nice of you replying to an ancient post
Have a nice weekend!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.