I’m looking to implement a workflow in Jira Cloud where each user is only allowed to have one issue in the “In Progress” status at any given time. If a user tries to move a second issue to “In Progress” while they already have one, the transition should be blocked.
Key Points:
I will be the sole person configuring the workflows and permissions.
Team members will only be moving tasks through the statuses and won’t be configuring anything themselves.
I prefer to achieve this using Jira’s native capabilities (workflow conditions, validators, and automation) if possible, and only consider paid plugins if absolutely necessary.
Example:
Ram → can have only 1 issue in In Progress
Vimal → can have only 1 issue in In Progress
Multiple users can have issues in In Progress, but only one per individual.
Questions:
Can this restriction be implemented using Jira Cloud’s native features?
Are there any limitations in Jira Cloud that would prevent achieving this natively?
If I need to get a paid version of Jira, which plan should I choose?
- Is it enough for only me to be on that plan, or do all team members also need to be on the same paid plan?
Thank you for your help!