Hi Team,
I’m trying to implement a clean Jira–Slack integration and would like guidance on whether this is supported natively or if there’s a recommended alternative approach.
What I want to achieve
One Jira issue should map to exactly one Slack thread.
Expected behaviour:
When a Jira issue is created, post one Slack message in a channel
All future comments on that Jira issue should be added as replies to the same Slack thread
Avoid posting a new Slack message for every comment
Keep all discussion grouped under one Slack thread per Jira issue
What I tried (current setup)
Rule 1 – On issue creation
Trigger: Work item created
Condition: project = SANDBOX
Action: Send Slack message to #jira-sandbox
Result:
Follow-up action:
This part works correctly.
Rule 2 – On issue comment
Expected:
Comment appears as a reply in the original Slack thread.
Issues I’m facing
Jira automation does trigger on comments
Audit log frequently shows “NO ACTIONS PERFORMED”
Even when actions run, Slack messages:
Tried both:
Verified:
Slack OAuth scopes (chat:write, chat:write.public)
Custom field value exists and is populated
Smart values resolve correctly
Despite this, threading is not reliable or does not work.
What I believe is happening
It looks like Jira Automation is stateless, and Slack threading requires stateful correlation (thread_ts) across multiple events.
Because of this:
My questions to the community
Is native Jira Automation + Slack capable of reliable threaded replies?
If not, is this a known limitation of Jira Cloud Automation?
Are there recommended alternatives that Atlassian supports or suggests?
Has anyone successfully implemented one Jira issue → one Slack thread in production?
Goal
We want a low-noise, scalable, and maintainable Jira–Slack integration that works for a full engineering team without flooding Slack channels.
Any guidance, confirmation, or best-practice recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance 🙏