The documentation seems to be completely wrong and completely misleading at the same time. has anyone cracked this and have an actual guide that works?
Hello @Michael Beale
Welcome to the Atlassian community.
What documentation are you referencing? Can you provide a link?
Can you tell us more about what you have tried, specifically, and the results you got?
What API endpoint(s) did you try? What parameters did you provide? What payload did you submit?
(Obscure confidential information like emails and API tokens.)
Hello, @Michael Beale
Save yourself time – start a free 30 day trial of our User Management for Confluence app and you will be able to do exactly what you are trying to do via UI.
You can see the description of the Bulk User Actions feature on our website. You can either deactivate users, or suspend them, or simply remove them from the licensing group associated with Confluence to reclaim back your licenses and save costs.
If you have any questions – reach out to our 24x7 support (yes, even for trials). The chat widget is on the bottom right of the website.
Thanks everyone, this all really helped... just to summarize for those who come after me:
Option 1 - use the User Management for Confluence app. it is really easy to use.
Option 2 - use the Organizations API provided by Atlassian. The part I got stuck on initially was endpoint to use for my cloud instance. It's working fine with https://api.atlassian.com/admin/ as the base URL for the apis. Postman collection available here: Organization Postman Collection
Thanks again,
Mike
so I created scoped API tokens for both Confluence and Teams as well as a classic un-scoped API Token.
Then I tried to follow the following guides:
All of which give conflicting guidance on what API endpoint to use. I tried using:
I tried using
--header 'Authorization: Bearer XXXXX' (in curl)
and
-u michael.beale@intel.com: XXXX' (in curl)
I also downloaded the Postman collections:
And even with all of that all I get is 401 errors, and the occasional 403.
Thank you for that additional information @Michael Beale
You said "All of which give conflicting guidance on what API endpoint to use."
What task are you trying to execute? There are different levels of user management for accomplishing different tasks, and different API endpoints may apply.
And there are two types of API tokens; personal tokens that non-admin user would create for accessing endpoints available for an application, and an Organization API token that would be used for accessing endpoints at the Organization level.
Let us focus on a specific scenario to ensure we offer you accurate advice.
I'm trying to do the user management - I need to remove a bunch of users (>400) and I'd rather not do them one at a time in the UI since Confluence doesn't believe in bulk operations it seems.
What do you mean exactly by "remove users"?
Is your company using an integration with an IdP for provisioning users? Is allocating access to apps part of that provisioning; i.e. by provisioning user groups and granting user groups access to the apps?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.