Intention:
Confluence Cloud – Macro to Generate External Links to a Different Project System Using Only an ID Number
Background:
I'm working in Confluence Cloud. When building Confluence Requirement pages, we frequently need to link to our external Incident Tracker system. I'd like to simplify this linking process.
Current Manual Process:
Right now, to link an incident, I need to:
- Type text such as: Incident# 12345
- Select that text and press Ctrl + K
- In the URL field, type or paste the full URL:
http://external-proj-system.test.com/incident/IncidentDetail.do?action=EDIT&ID=12345
This means that each time, I must remember and type the full base URL, then append the 5-digit incident number.
What I'd Like to Do:
Ideally, I want a macro called "Incident Tracker" that would allow me to:
- Type /Incident Tracker
- Provide a 5-digit incident number (for example, 12345)
The macro would automatically build the URL as:
http://external-proj-system.test.com/incident/IncidentDetail.do?action=EDIT&ID=<five_digit_number>
...with the link text displayed as Incident# 12345.
Questions:
- Can this type of macro be created in Confluence Cloud (new editor)?
- Do I need to be a site admin or Confluence admin to set this up, or is space admin access sufficient?
- If I need to request Site Admin to help me build this macro, what is the best pattern/technology to use (user macro / Forge app / Connect app / something else)? Or
Seeking suggestion on the procedure to build this.
My main goal is to encapsulate the base URL within the macro logic so that authors only need to enter the 5-digit Incident Tracker number without worrying about the full URL.
Thanks in advance for any guidance or examples!