Change Request:
We have a custom field on the Change Request form called Change Group. This field is an Assets field with multiple group selection enabled. Based on the values selected in this field, we use an automation rule to create sub-tasks under the main Change Request.
For example, if a user selects two groups, two corresponding sub-tasks are created for the approval process. Up to this point, everything is working as expected using Jira Automation.
However, I am facing issues when trying to populate certain fields in the created sub-tasks. Specifically, I want to:
I am finding it difficult to map and set these field values correctly for each sub-task. Any guidance or best practices on how to achieve this using Jira Automation would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Ranjitha - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
Can you please share the rule that you have so far including the details of the creation of the subtasks? That way we can provide better feedback.
But basically you want to copy the value from the trigger issue. But first add a Re-fetch action after the trigger action so the work item has time to stabilze.
Hi @Ranjitha Rajendran
Welcome to the community.
This could be tricky, based on the amount of options that can be set in this field. AS we can't copy the value, we need to set it based on the key of the assset object.
As @John Funk mentions, a view of the rule and the details of the rule components will provide more context
Hi John, Thanks for your response.
Usually, I use the Re-fetch options before sending any email notifications & populate the values.
In this case, I am mainly struggling with two items:
Passing group values correctlyPassing those group values to the Approver Group, so that the sub-task can trigger the approval action
The challenge I’m facing is that workflow approval steps only accept User or Group picker field types, and they do not accept Asset object field types. even though I’ve tried multiple variations. Example of what I attempted:JSON{ "fields": { "customfield_12671": [ { "id": "{{lookupAssets.first.id}}" } ] } }I’ve tried several methods, so it’s possible that I’m calling these fields incorrectly.
MY Requirement
-On the Change Request form, the user selects multiple groups in the Change Assessor field.-Based on the number of groups selected, multiple sub-tasks should be created.-Each sub-task should: Be assigned to the corresponding group Trigger an approval action for that specific group
For example, if two groups are selected on the frontend form, then two sub-tasks should be created under the main Change Request—one per group.
Current Status / Issue
-Sub-tasks are being created correctly based on the group count.-However, the following fields are not being populated: Resolver Teams Change Assessor Teams Approver Groups
Field Type Details
-Change Assessor is an Asset object field (multiple group picker)This was implemented because, within Forms, the standard Group Picker field is not available.So, I created an Asset Object Type and populated group names for selection in the form.-Resolver TeamsI tried both Asset type and Group Picker type.-Approver GroupsWorkflow approval steps only accept User Picker or Group Picker field types, and they do not accept Asset fields.
Because of these constraints, I believe I may be passing the group values incorrectly. I’d really appreciate your guidance on how to resolve this, or if there is an alternative approach you would recommend to achieve this requirement more effectively. Attached some of the screen shot for my automation rule and error message(not only this CMDB error other errors also coming, sometimes sub task created successfully without populating those field values.. )Happy to consider any other solution that aligns with best practices. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi Marc,
Thanks for your reply.
I’ve responded to John comments with detailed information and have also attached the relevant screenshots showing the automation rules and the errors I’m encountering.
Are you trying to edit the work item (i.e., the Sub-task) just created in the branch?
If so, that cannot be done as you show because the edit action is trying to change the trigger work item and you cannot nest branching to access "most recently created work item".
Instead, please try setting the fields at the same time when you create the Sub-task.
Kind regards,Bill
On the create acito you can try to use Key in {{team}}, what does bring?
This as a first step.
Hi Bill,
You’re correct—the edit action changes the trigger work item (just i tried). I only tried populating the values within the sub-task creation action
Hi Marc, If you see my log and result, it's correctly fetch the information Looping object: Key = RT-127 Name = Service Desk ObjectId = , Looping object: Key = RT-19583 Name = JSM Test Team ObjectId =
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.