Hello Atlassian Community,
I am facing a persistent and confusing authentication issue while using multiple Jira Cloud portals, and I’m hoping someone here has encountered this before or can suggest a proper solution.
In our environment, we work with multiple Jira Cloud instances hosted under different domains, for example:
abc.atlassian.net
xyz.atlassian.net
Both portals are actively used, sometimes on the same day, and often from different devices such as a laptop and an office desktop.
Problem Description
When I log in to one Jira portal (say abc.atlassian.net) using my Atlassian account, the login works fine. However, when I then try to log in to another Jira portal (xyz.atlassian.net) in the same browser, Jira frequently reports that my password is invalid. This happens even though:
I am using the same email address
I am entering the correct password
The password has not been changed manually
Because of this, I am forced to reset my password. The reset works, and I can log in successfully. However, the problem does not stop there.
Reproducible Scenario
Here’s a simple example that happens repeatedly:
Monday: I log in to Jira (abc.atlassian.net) on my laptop → works fine
Tuesday: I go to the office and try to log in on my desktop → Jira says my password is invalid → I reset it
When I return to my laptop and try logging in with the same new password, Jira again says the password is invalid → forcing another reset
This cycle repeats every time I switch:
Between devices (laptop ↔ desktop)
Or between Jira portals (abc.atlassian.net ↔ xyz.atlassian.net)
Or sometimes even between browsers on the same machine
Temporary Workaround (Not Ideal)
The only temporary workaround I’ve found is to:
While this works, it is clearly not a scalable or ideal solution. Today I may have 2 Jira portals, but in the future I could easily have 5–10 portals, and using a separate browser for each one is not practical.
Questions
Is this a known issue with Atlassian session handling, cookies, or SSO across multiple Jira Cloud instances?
Is Atlassian invalidating sessions or credentials when switching between portals or devices?
Is there a recommended configuration (SSO, Atlassian Access, browser settings, or cookie isolation) to avoid this behavior?
Has anyone found a permanent fix that allows multiple Jira Cloud portals to be used in the same browser without repeated password resets?
Any guidance, official documentation, or real-world experience would be greatly appreciated, as this issue significantly impacts daily productivity.
Thank you in advance for your help.