I want to track the hardware systems that my company produces as products and assign ownership to both internal and external parties. Each product is uniquely identified by a serial number.
I currently have a number of Jira projects associated with these assets, one project is called repairs - for managing when a product needs shipped back for repair. This project is managed by our field team. What I ultimately want is for our field team to be able to create an Repair issue in Jira and have two fields to help filter down the product that needs repaired:
- Asset Owner Field
- This will allow the owner of a system to be selected
- Asset Field
- This will only show the assets (serial numbers) associated with the asset owner selected above
The improvement to is quickly filter down the selectable serial numbers by owner rather than have our field team members try to select a serial number from a list of all serial numbers.
I have created an asset schema called Product. Each Product record uses the serial number as its object name and includes attributes for critical subcomponent hardware, such as cameras and computers, each identified by its own serial number. These attributes will be used to track RMA information when a subcomponent needs to be replaced.
Each Product may be assigned to a single owner. Owners are represented by three separate schemas:
- Customer
Example: Customer A, address, contact information - Internal Facility
Example: Headquarters, address - Internal Personnel
Example: Person Z, address, department, role
One of the key requirements is to also track an assets location - so by having an address field associated with each owner, we can track where a system is via the assigned owner.
Here is where I am running into trouble.
I have three separate schemas that define all possible owners. However, when I create the Asset Owner field in Jira, I can only associate that field with a single asset schema. As a result, I can only select owners from one group at a time, either Customers, Internal Facilities, or Internal Personnel, instead of selecting from a single combined list that includes all three.
How can I aggregate these three asset schemas into a single list for my Jira fields?