I'm trying to solve an issue and have run out of ideas and suspect I might be approaching this the wrong way and there could be a easier solution that is escaping me, so I though I would post it here and maybe someone has a clever way to achieve what I want to or points a flaw in my logic
Scenario
I have a purchase work item (epic - level 1) and based on the number of payments (numeric field) at some point an automation it is triggered to generate the child work items (tasks - level 0) that represent the number of payments. So if the # of payments field is 3, 3 work items will be created with the summary Payment 1, Payment 2 and Payment 3
Goal
I would like for the payments to be in order of creation to simplify sorting in the UI, reporting, etc. I'm aware that I could achieve this with sorting by text, etc. But I would like it to be right from the creation so it is the same experience for all the users
| Key | Summary |
| ABC-123 | Payment 1 |
| ABC-124 | Payment 2 |
| ABC-125 | Payment 3 |
Challenge
In order to dynamically create the child work items, I'm using a lookup table as suggested here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automationkb/automation-rule-looping-on-a-numeric-value-in-jira-automation-1416563126.html
and it works well. Creates as many issues as the integer in the field. The problem comes with how Jira seems to handle loops and branches, and the issues are created out of order.




As you can see in this example, the issue summary is created out of order

In this documentation it explains that
Branches on multiple issues (such as 4 sub-tasks) will run in parallel with no guarantee one will finish before the next one starts. Therefore, you cannot rely on changes between branches.
Limitations
- I can't use any plugins (Scriptrunner is not an option)
- I'm on Jira Cloud
What I tried
- Adding a delay in the branch. Does not make a difference
- Trying to rename with a second automation. I was not able to get an index of the loop (like I would do in a programming language) to use in the summary
If anyone has a good idea or knows how to do this in a better way, your input is much appreciated.