Hi all,
I’m encountering a problem with a Jira Cloud automation that recalculates “Consumed Hours” in epics based on worklogs from Tempo. I suspect there’s a bug or misconfiguration, and I'm looking for advice.
Situation
- I have epics representing hour packages for clients.
- Each epic has several tasks, with hours logged in Tempo.
- An automation was created to:
- Update a custom field “Billable Seconds” on tasks with Tempo worklogs.
- Recalculate “Consumed Hours” in tasks and the parent epic.
- Calculate “Remaining Hours” as Contracted Hours – Consumed Hours.
- Transition the epic to Inactive when remaining hours reach zero.
Observed issues
- Moving several tasks from one epic to another triggers recalculation. Initially, it works fine, but at a certain point:
- The Consumed Hours field in the epic decreases instead of increasing.
- Total hours in Tempo remain correct.
- Editing a worklog on a task sometimes resets its consumed hours to zero, but editing another worklog fixes it.
- Logs show messages like:
“The work item didn’t match the specified JQL. The chosen rule actor doesn’t have permissions…” - The automation runs as Automation for Jira.
What Isuspect
- Some tasks may be inaccessible to the automation actor due to permission schemes, security levels, or project roles.
- Using JQL conditions might be causing inconsistent execution.
What I'm looking for
- Guidance on how to make such an automation robust across epics and tasks.
- Recommendations on JQL vs Issue Field conditions for these recalculations.
- Any known issues with Automation for Jira losing access to tasks after moving them between epics.
Thanks in advance for any insights!