Context: We are in the middle of moving from Jira team-managed space custom fields and creating their global field counter part. With that, we need to migrate the data that lived in the space custom fields to their global field counterpart.
Goal: The only way I can think of to mass update the existing work items in each space is through the CSV importer (old version).
Problem: When I update the the child work items (not sub-tasks), the relationship between its parent (Epic) and the child work item is disconnected. So I am left with orphan work items that have the data updated in the global field counterpart.
Attempts:
- Included an Epic parent column in the CSV file and mapped it out to "Parent"
- Importer gave be an error to include the issue ID and tried the parent key

- I have not been able to move past this step when I include a parent mapping
- I have been able to move past this step without including the parent column but the trade off is all the orphaned child work items are the result. So we have been manually linking them for the few hundred we test this on.