Hello Community.
I’m working on a Jira Automation rule in my Service Desk project.
Here’s what I’m trying to do:
I extract a date string from an issue description field and store it in a variable. Example date string in description field is: 'Start Date: Jan 5, 2026'
- 1st action is create a variable called rawStartDate and use this smart value: {{issue.description.match(".*Start Date: (.+).*")}}
The value of rawStartDate is in the format Jan 5, 2026 - which is great!
I want to convert this value to a date object and then format it as MM/dd/yyyy (e.g., 01/05/2026) using Jira Automation smart values.
I’m using the smart value:
{{rawStartDate.toDate.format("MM/dd/yyyy")}}
However, when I log either {{rawStartDate.toDate}} or {{rawStartDate.toDate.format("MM/dd/yyyy")}}, the output is blank. I also tried MM-dd-yyyy.
Logging {{rawStartDate}} shows the correct value (Jan 5, 2026), so the variable is being set.
- Final step would be to edit the custom work item field with this date object.
What am I missing, or is there a known issue with .toDate and this date format in Jira Automation? Any suggestions for troubleshooting or workarounds would be appreciated!