Hello, I’m trying to set up a Jira automation that does the following:
- Look at a parent issue (Epic) and check to see if they have any/many/all of the following labels:
Type_PI1<br>Type_PI2<br>Type_PI3<br>Type_PI4
Type_PI5<br><br> If the Epic has any of these labels, perform an action where the child inherits these labels (Epic -> Stories/Tasks -> Subtasks).
Also, if any labels are removed from the parent, they should also be removed from all children.
I’ve had challenges particularly with the point (3), making sure labels removed from the parent actually are removed from the children. For instance, when someone updates the labels in bulk (i.e. user removes Type_1 & Type 2, then changes it to Type_3 & Type 4. The issue history just shows a single “labels changed” entry, which I think makes it hard for automation to detect what was added vs what was removed.
I'm not sure if I need multiple rules here, or a scheduled rule that simply re-syncs children to match the parent rather than relying on the “field changed” trigger.
I don’t mind which approach as the important thing is to have a reliable setup that keeps the labels sync'd.
Has anyone set up something like this or can help me resolve this query please?
Thanks in advance!
Note: Here are a couple of screenshots of a rule I've tried without success. I'm just trying at a Story to Sub-Task for now.

