Hello,
I'm trying to implement something in Plans and I'd like the community advice on best practices.
Basically, we want to estimate our projects at different levels: Initiative, Epic and Story, and check if it matches. By matching, I mean that the sum of estimates in Epic should ideally be the same as the estimate on their parent Initiative, and so on. We would also like to be able to make reports on that, e.g take the mean difference between the direct-estimate and the sum-of-children-estimate for example.
For now we're populating 3 different fields with Automations:
- A0 is the direct estimated value on Initiatives
- A1 is the direct estimated value on Epics, and is the sum of children-epics-A1-values on Initatives
- A2 is the direct estimated value on Stories, the sum of children-stories-A2-values on Epics the sum of children-epics-B2-values on Initatives
As you can tell, it's kind of complicated and I'm not a big fan.
I know that Structure would offer a more flexible way to do this but then the result wouldn't appear on the Work item view and it may be a problem for us. I don't know about what BigPicture offers.
What are the industry's best practice in this regard? Do you think it can prove useful or is this totally irrelevant? Should we consider a different approach?
Thanks!
Simon