Hi,
I cannot understand why the system is not working as expected and I am quite sure we are talking about a bug here. It also looks like this issue is here for years, judging from some articles I found online, but let's start from the beginning…
I have created a team-managed project and I have created 3 different Work Types for 3 different tasks to be performed by my team. I am assuming that they should kind of work like in silos: the (custom) fields I am designing in each and every Work Type are needed for those specific situations: some of course are used in more than one Work Type, some other only in one Work Type. So far so good.
And now the issue. I am pasting a request my Jira admin will send to the Jira Support Team, but I want to also share this issue here as maybe you are in my same situation and you can help me out.
My goal is for each Work Type to display a specific set of fields to the Reporter by customizing the "Configure field" option (please see attached screenshots for reference). However, after configuring and applying the changes, the settings are not saved—the configuration reverts to the default state each time.
You access the fields configuration here:

And then

You select what fields you want to display as a Reporter by selecting Custom fields and you are expecting that from the moment you apply this selection all Reporters will display the set of fields you want them to see for that Work Type. Otherwise, if you select All fields, the Reporter will display all fields.
In reality this does not work. After some time the configuration you saved is no longer there and it is displaying some "random" fields for no reason. Plus, if you are changing the configuration for a Work Type, it is going to mess up the fields configuration with the other Work Types.
The only workaround I found is to select All fields. In this way the system will display all fields for all Work Types (even if you choose this option to be applied only to one Work Type) and to make sure the Reporter will not use fields I wanted to keep hidden from them during the ticket creation, I will need to write DO NOT USE in the descriptions of the fields, so that I will fill those fields once the ticket is created and I can process it.
Impact:
This issue negatively affects the user experience, as users are unable to see all the relevant custom fields required to create issues properly. This could lead to incomplete issue submissions and delays in resolution.
Request:
Could you please investigate why the field configurations are not being saved for these Work Types and advise on how to resolve this?