Hi Jira Team and Community Members,
I'm hoping there's an expert out there that can help me with my issue. I've done my best to provide as much detail as possible, but please ask clarifying questions if needed - any support is greatly appreciated!
----------
High-level Problem Description: I have an issue where Jira has stopped automatically populating my newly created sprint start dates based on the previously created sprint's end date and has stopped automatically populating/defaulting my sprint duration to 2-weeks.
My Jira Setup Context and Sprint Process:
- I am using Jira Cloud on a standard plan
- I have a Scrum project setup using sprints
- Our typical sprint durations are 2-weeks
- I have 3 codependent sprint teams using 3 separate board views in the same project running 3 separate parallel sprints (parallel sprints is turned on)
- In addition to my active sprints, I create 2 additional "on-deck" future sprints for each team
- The first on-deck sprint is left empty for the active sprint's carryover
- The second on-deck sprint has groomed backlog pulled in to review during planning meetings
How the Problem Started:
- During the November and December holiday season, my team moves from 2-week sprints to 4-week sprints to accommodate PTO schedules and somewhat normalize velocity. We move back to standard 2-week sprints after the holiday season.
- After closing the previous sprints for each team, I went into each sprint team's board and updated the soon to be active (being planned) sprint duration from the hardcoded/predefined 2-week option to the hardcoded/predefined 4-week option.
- After doing this, every new on-deck sprint that I create does not use the previously created sprint's end date as its start date and does not set the duration to two weeks - new sprints are simply being added as "custom" with no start or end dates.
My Research and Thoughts:
- From my research, I understand Jira manages automatically populating sprint cycle date and duration information with behind-the-scenes logic that looks at the previously created sprint's end date, with the overall default for new
Scrum projects being 2-weeks. - I read somewhere that Jira will only key off the active sprint, however, that was not the case. It was keying start dates off the last created on-deck sprint's end date, which is exactly how I wanted it to function seeing that I always have 2 future sprints created in advance.
- I assume that when I adjusted my consistent 2-week pattern for the first time, that the governing logic was removed because Jira is now seeing a hybrid pattern of both 2-week and 4-week sprints, and does not want to proactively make an assumption to keep adding newly created on-deck sprints with 2-week cycles.
Questions and Help Needed:
- Is this issue a temporary inconvenience until my teams get back on an active pattern of completing 2-week sprints, where Jira will recognize the pattern again and start auto-populating start dates and 2-week durations for newly created sprints?
- Are there any steps I can take to force Jira to get back into a 2-week flow?
- e.g. Only have my active sprint populated with no on-deck sprints once we get back into a 2-week cycle for the first 1-2 sprints and then start adding on-deck sprints again when the pattern is recognized ("fresh start").
- If #1 and #2 are invalid or unknown, is there a way I can force newly created sprints to:
- Have a start date of the previously created sprint's end date
- Have a default duration of 2 weeks (I'd rather adjust this once or twice a year for the exceptions instead of every 2 weeks)
----------
Looking forward to any thoughts on how to tackle this going forward. Thanks!
Best,
Gino