Hi everyone,
I’m trying to build a reliable Jira automation rule that automatically sets the next issue (sub-task or linked issue) to “In Progress” when the current one transitions to “Done.”
I’ve already tried several different approaches:
Using the Sequence field to determine the order
Using issue links like “has to be done before / after”
Splitting it into two separate rules (one to flag, one to trigger the next issue)
Combining everything into a single rule
Sometimes it works — but only on the second or third attempt, never on the first.
Other times, the parent issue reacts instead of the next sub-task, or nothing happens at all.
Could anyone share a working and reliable automation setup for this case?
The goal is simple:
When I move one issue to Done, the next one (based on sequence or “has to be done after” link) should automatically transition to In Progress.
Thanks a lot for any help or examples!
— Melissa