Hi everyone,
I'm building a workflow in Jira Service Management (Team-managed project) and I’d like to ask for advice on how to manage status visibility between internal users and customers.
Background:
Internally, our team uses three detailed statuses to track issue progress:
- Investigating
- Waiting for Information
- Fix in Progress
However, for customers viewing the issue in the portal, we want to simplify these into a single status like "In Progress", so they don’t see the internal breakdown.
This way, our team can manage the issue in more detail, while customers only see a clean and simple status.
To achieve this, I created a custom Select-type field called "Customer-facing Status", which is updated automatically based on internal status changes using automation rules.
What I’m trying to do next:
After a customer submits a request, they are redirected to a screen where they can view the current status and other request details — specifically, the right-hand side panel of the portal screen.
I’d like to edit the fields shown in the area circled in the attached image, so that the "Customer-facing Status" field appears there.
My goals are:
- Make the field visible on the post-submission screen
- Ensure it is read-only for customers
- Exclude it from the initial request form
- Optionally, hide the actual internal status from the portal view (as long as it doesn’t interfere with notifications or other logic)
Questions:
- Is it possible to display a custom field only on the post-submission portal view, and not on the request form?
- Can I make this field read-only for customers?
- Is there a way to hide the actual status field from the portal view without affecting backend logic?
Any tips, workarounds, or best practices would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Yuki Tanaka