I had created a new Team Managed Software project and told management about the Project Summary page, which they have been using multiple times a day to generate reports on progress.
Earlier this week, I noticed that the count of issues on the Summary donut was not matching the actual count of issues (that is the 'Summary Donut' count vs 'All Items' count didn't match). I found it was easy to determine which issues were missing by using the 'View all work items' link above the Summary Donut which takes you to a filtered list view; scrolling down the list so that all issues load, and then use the select all checkbox. Then clear the filter and the selected issues persist highlighted while the additional items are not selected so it's easy to see (if not count) the items that were missing.
I see no reason these items were excluded. They are all 'Done', but not archived. Some of the excluded tickets were active in the last 7 days, while others that were included were active >7 days ago. (I mention this as I saw in other comments that the summary limits itself to the previous 7 days, but if a project summary excludes items over 7 days old, that's a poor indicator of actual project progress)
Anyone else experience this, or is this working as intended and I just don't understand how the summary page works? I can't find any information online as to what filter is used to generate the Summary Donut.