Currently when using time tracking in JIRA, it automatically calculates the Time remaining when entering a value in the the 'Time spent' when logging hours on a subtask.
This is not something we want. When creating tasks the 'original estimate' is a guess, it will never be 100% accurate (expect for maybe some really small tasks), hence the word estimate.
The 'time remaining' is not simply a calculation of the time spent, but is an estimation on how long you think remains for the tasks. If the original estimate is 16hours, and after I spent 4h I think it will be only 1h of work left, I don't want the remaining to be automatically calculated. Or the other way around, I could find out after 4 hours of work that it will take more than 16 hours. People should always think about this when updating the remaining hours. "What do I estimate the time remaining will be".
In our current setup we update the hours during our daily meeting. This way the whole team knows how much time is remaining and can sometimes help with an estimate (like asking questions if the one updating the remaining if they thought about something).
Is there a way to disable the 'time remaining' to be automatically calculated? I understand some teams may want to use this and I know you can manually enter a different value, but it should not be forced. Is there a setting you can disable this calculation?