I am hoping to use Jira Plans > Timeline View to better manage our scheduled releases, and have greater visibility over specific details of the tickets within a release.
However, I can't seem to add a custom date and time field into the Jira Plan - it tells me it's an unsupported field.
This is a critical field as part of our releases, to help with ordering, so would appreciate any suggestions or ideas about how to see this information in Jira Plans.
For context:
We have multiple Release Windows in a week, and we are releasing tickets from a release-specific project.
Individual teams create and complete work in their own separate projects, and then a ticket is created in the release-specific project which indicates that the ticket is ready for release
We use something akin to an aircraft traffic control model for our release windows - we aim to have "timeslots" for specific tickets, based on a range of factors, so engineers know when they should be ready to release their particular ticket.
The release-specific tickets may have dependencies on one another, or may need to be released at a specific date/time (e.g. coordinating a release with a third-party), otherwise we have a time assigned to the ticket within the release window period.
I have been looking at Jira Plans, and so far it's giving me the information / visibility I'd like for most things.
e.g. I can visually see dependencies between tickets, priorities, and other custom fields that we have set up and actively use.
However, the last piece of the puzzle is being able to add the release date and time to this Timeline View. It's a field we use currently on the tickets, but it's an "Unsupported Field" for Jira Plans - presumably because of the time component.
Being able to use this field would mean I can:
- sort by start date/time so I can see the time-based release order, and group by team / engineer etc (as we can have multiple teams releasing at the same time, if their work is not related)
- see a group of tickets that have dependencies on one another, and see the specific timeslots allocated to them, so we can coordinate the release of each ticket individually
- share this information with the engineers who are involved in the release, so they know what time they need to be available for their individual tickets
The current release date/time field is used in the normal filter / report that we are using currently to manage our releases, however this filter / report doesn't give me the same level of visibility and information as Jira Plans.
So I'd prefer to move us to Jira Plans for the extra functionality, but being able to see the start date/time is critical.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?