I've been doing some archeological digging in our Jira metadata, to streamline and simplify it and make JQL queries more reliable with consistent metadata use. There's a decade's worth of Jira tickets, so how things have been done has changed bit hither and thither
My current conundrum is the Component field and unnecessary/wrong values that have been added there over the years
- Looking at the JQL query, we seem to have three (3) different fields called "Component".
- Looking at the fields in Jira settings, I can only find two (2) of these fields:
- A custom component field "{prefix}-components" that I can manage like any custom field
- A locked default "Component" field that I cannot manage at all
- The third field, which would also seem to be called "Component" based on the JQL, is nowhere to be seen
The custom field is only used in one of our Jira projects. The locked "Component" does not give details where exactly it's used.
- I might want to align which field is used, so that all our projects are in sync. Is there a way to see where a particular field in the work item of a particular project comes from? Specifically, I'd like to know if our work items are using the locked field or the elusive third "Component" field.
- Any ideas how to track down the whereabouts of that elusive third "Component" field? Can fields or their values be managed outside the Fields page in Jira settings, meaning I've been looking from the wrong place?
- I'd need to remove some (wrong) values from the list of available component values. Since the values do not come from the custom component field that I could manage, how can I get rid of them? We have established that system admins can add new components directly in work items, but can they somehow delete them too?
- Can new values be added to a locked field, like the default "Component", even though otherwise it could not be edited? Or does "Locked" exclude even adding new metadata values?