Hello everyone, this question might have varying answers but I'm trying to get a feel for when a new Jira project needs to be created. Just to give some background, we are an IT department of approx 20 people that cover application development, third part application licenses, security, infrastructure, etc. Here are some of my scenarios that I wrestle with as an application development manager attempting to manage Jira as an admin:
- I am responsible for two applications developed in house, and about seven from third-party vendors. I have one application developer, and I both manage and develop. The two in-house applications have been in production since 2021 and have had several updates to them over the years.
- The manager of security may need to find a new backup system
- The client services manager may have been assigned to purchase and distribute new laptops with Windows 11 on them.
For my personal scenario, I have a Jira Project named ITS Development. In it I will create an epic for a quarterly application deployment release, a new vendor app setup and production deployment, etc. I have a custom field called ITS Application which I use to distinguish each epic and the other work items related to it.
For the other two, each manager has a Jira Project and would also create an epic for the assigned project.
Are this how smaller teams normally would work, or would there be a Jira Project for each the applications I manage, on another manager in the given use cases would? Is there a point where a work project should have its own designated Jira project?