Jira deployed a new feature that pins the new comment you are typing to the center of the screen, causing the new comment element to remain "stuck" in place while the rest of the page scrolls behind it. However, this blocks you from being able to read the previous comments when typing longer emails.
Please see this Loom video of the issue I'm describing: https://www.loom.com/share/51fa6d2f12a549f7a1ce80ea1a6f3169
I very strongly dislike this new feature. It's wildly unhelpful for me and disruptive to my workflow. (My teammates don't have behavior, yet; and I didn't see anything in Jira release notes about this; so I guess I'm being beta tested against maybe?)
Does anyone know how to turn this off? I didn't see anything in my general settings.
I'm not a project admin, so I couldn't check other settings (but I did reach out to ask if they knew anything about this and whether there was a toggleable setting).
Any guidance on this would be very appreciated. Thank you!
Edit 9/29/25:
So this was "technically" resolved on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-95841. However, their resolution was an absolute joke. This sticky comment feature is an absolute joke. I CONSTANTLY have to work around it. At the very least, reading the other comments left on the JRA ticket gives me solace that I am not the only one perturbed by this feature.
The workaround, for anyone curious:
- write a tiny bit,
- save your comment (make it internal if it is client-facing),
- then edit it again.
That will give you the old text box behavior (I pray they never "patch" this; I might cry).
It is signiiiiiiiiiificantly better having the comment box grow to full size and allow you to scroll down/up normally without the drafted comment following you everywhere you go— especially since I constantly write very long emails using videos, images, code snippets, bullet points, links, headers; the works. Dear Jira, if I can't see the message in its entirety, I can't properly comprehend what I am about to send a client.
If an Atlassian engineer ever reads this post, just please, for the love of all that is holy: Give. Us. Back. The. Old. Behavior. Now. Eventually. Please. I'm begging...
This should never have been deployed as the general behavior for all. If there is a notable need for sticky comments for some users, that's fine, but make it an optional, user-level, toggleable feature. (Go vote for this issue to make this a user-level setting.)
For my type of work, sticky comments SUCK so much. What UX issue does a sticky comment box solve in a technical writing CRM community??? I cannot properly read/review the lengthy comments I create for complex customer responses. I dare Atlassian to run a client feedback survey to see how many people want/benefit from sticky comment boxes. I would be shocked to see over 50% of positive reviews.
One last time, sticky comment boxes suck. Like, a ton. Rant over.
Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Much love.