NB If my conversation with CoPilot is to believed, it is highly restrictive.
My current project has several releases which, as fairly standard, has sub releases.
Again, the format is fairly standard, currently on Release 14;
14.0.0.12-2198
14.0.0.13-2214
etc
Ideally, I would want to query ALL version 14 releases. My understanding is that you cannot use wildcards, so an attempt to use a 'fuzzy search' was tried using ~.
"Detected in Release" ~ "14."
This failed, and CoPilot replied
Thanks for the clarification! Since "Detected in Release" uses predefined values/entities (likely a custom field with a version picker or dropdown), Jira's JQL behaves differently — the ~ operator won’t work for partial matches on such fields.
I then progressed to an attempt using IN;
project = "myProject" AND issuetype = Defect AND "Detected in Release[Version Picker (multiple versions)]" IN ("14.0.0.12-2198", "14.0.0.13-2214") ORDER BY key ASC, created DESC
This confused me, as it returned no results 
After further discussion with CoPilot, I was informed
Jira strictly validates values in version picker fields. If any value in the IN clause doesn't exist, the entire query fails — even if other values are valid.
Surely the above must be the most basic requirement for reporting on versions?
If it isn't clear, I want to report on all version 14 (sub) versions.
What I have found is, I cannot report on a wildcard or fuzzy search.
Also, I can only query on the values that will be returned by the query, effectively, I must only search on results KNOWING THE RESULTS(!?!?!?!)
To reiterate, I may query using "14.0.0.12-2198" and "14.0.0.13-2214", being two of the versions created in Releases, BUT if my date range does not have either one, the query will result in NO MATCHES (despite the date range having matches for one version)
Is CoPilot correct to say that this simply is not possible?