Hi! I am working on a change in a automation, and I would like some advise on how to create a child work item in another project before I start testing.
Following up @Bill Sheboy questions, I add below some context:
Jira version
- Jira edition: Jira Service Management Cloud
Project type
- Project type: Team-managed (IT HelpDesk)
Automation Rule
When an Employee onboarding request is created, we keep a parent request and generate child sub-tasks for each selected application to provision.
- Trigger: Work item created
- Condition: Issue Type = Employee onboarding
- Action: Lookup objects (From Staff)
- Branch: For each Smart value APPLICATION
- Log: Creating sub-task for Application: Employee Key: Issue custom field.
- Action: Create a new Sub-task in IT HelpDesk (uses the lookup values)
- Log: Request participants, application system owners and admins.

What I would like to add
Within the same branch, only when the application is a specific one, create a work item in another project and attach it to a specific Epic. I understand sub-tasks cannot be children of an Epic. For reliability (request type/approvals/custom fields), is Create issue preferred over Clone issue when creating the cross-project item and attaching it to the Epic?.
Not sure how to go about this.
Thanks for the help!
Kind regards,
L