This rule is not copying the Reporter and Assignee from the parent ticket. What am I doing wrong?
@Jeffrey Li Reposting as a standalone answer for visibility (feel free to accept):
After some trial and error with the snippets provided, I found a behavior that might explain your problem.
Here’s what I found:
Scenario: I’m in work item A and link to work item B.
Using the Work item linked trigger, the source work item (from which the data is copied) is B.
So instead of copying from A → B, the system tries to copy in the opposite direction (B → A), pulling information rather than pushing it.
Configure this using the destination work item to copy from A to B (push data). Here’s the configuration I used that worked for me:
This reversed perspective on “source” and “destination” might save some head-scratching if your setup isn’t behaving as expected.
Pro tip: Expanding on the single steps within the audit log helped narrow this down.
Regards,Thorsten
Hi Jeffrey and welcome!
This can have several reasons, but fist of all I would check whether the users you want to copy have the correct permissions in the target project.
Some reasons:
Can you check these?
Permissions are correct. I was using my own name (setup as an admin) as the test issue to try to validate the rule. When creating a new linked issue, the issue will use my name in the Reporter field instead of the original ticket "reporter", and Assignee is defaulting to "Unassigned".
Hi,
Being an admin does not necessarily mean that you can do everything in a project. The project role(s) your user is in, in the target project does also need the correct permissions via the permission scheme linked to the target project.
On the other hand, can you share more detail of your Edit issue steps? You can also do this in 1 step btw, you don't need an edit step per field. Now that I think of it, might also be a cause (because of not re-fetching data). But let's handle one thing at a time and look at your edit steps first.
I have edit issues in all the projects.
Hi @Jeffrey Li ,
Change the condition to a smart value condition:
{{triggerissue.assignee}} is not empty
Then in the Edit section select assignee and reporter in one action and add copy from trigger work item, see picture below
And indeed make sure the scope contains both the trigger work item project as the linked work item project(s).
@Rudy Holtkamp, the setup and explanation look good.
@Jeffrey Li, if this is not working as expected, would you mind sharing the audit log when the rule is executed?
I tried making the change and this didnt work either. Log shows that "No Actions Performed", below are the details.
The trigger event Assignee is populated with my name, so it is definitely not empty.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.