Hi,
a user prompted me to look closer into old and new things surrounding Jira notifications, so I did.
The problem the user has is that she is getting flooded with Jira notifications / emails because she created a whole issue structure for multiple departments, meaning she is the reporter on all of these issue (and she is also a watcher because by default Jira makes you one on your created issues).
I also noticed that, by default, in all new projects, the notification settings (even on a fresh instance and team-managed projects) the reporter is referenced explicitly, in addition to the watcher, in every possible Jira notification event.
I wonder why Atlassian decided this should still be the default.
I could remove the reporter from the default notification scheme but this would not solve the problem for team-managed projects where this is the default in all the templates, which (correct me if I'm wrong) can't be changed.
Shouldn't it be as simple as:
If the user is watching an issue, send a notification otherwise don't. 🤔
All of this results in a scenario where even if you disable all "Reporter" notifications in your personal notification settings, you will still get all these notifications as you are still watching all these issues.
Trying to find out how to best search for issues that a person is watching, it seems like you have to use JQL as there is no way to filter on that with the "basic" search, which seems not very user-friendly to me.
The above layers of UX problems make it really hard to sell Jira internally right now.
How do you manage notifications in your instances and what advice do you give users?
Any suggestions are welcome. 😊