Background: we're a small school for kids with disabilities. We have a project coming up which means a lot of remote document work with people who can't get into the school. So I thought "let's chuck it in a wiki" and my other half suggested confluence. Had a quick nosey round, like the look of it, so far so good. We'd have to use ondemand, we are too small to host it ourselves.
The issue is we have a pre-project of about a month's frantic activity, at which point we will decide to go ahead, cancel or - 90% chance - to hold off for a year. After that year we need to pick up where we left off, probably in a hurry. We would be looking at the smallest possible hosted licence, but I can't justify spending even $100 a year just to keep the data in suspended animation on the Atlassian servers: our kids have better uses for $100.
So, the obvious plan is to take a month's trial, ask Atlassian to back it all up, cancel the account and then when the real project kicks off, start a new account and chuck the backup at it. But is that workable?
The product will have moved on in a year; will the backup be compatible? Could they restore it and upgrade it for us? Is there another import/export mechanism which would save less of the pretty bits but be enduringly compatible? Can I retrieve files from a backup if I don't have a downloaded version of confluence?