Can I use automation inside Jira to export data from certain fields in my project to a csv file? or can I use a python script to grab certain data from certain fields in my project?
Hi @Charles Brooks
You can't export data directly into a CSV using Jira automation. Automation rules don't support writing to files like that.
What I did instead was use a small Python script that connects to Jira using the REST API. It runs a JQL query, grabs the fields I want (like issue key, summary, status), and then saves that info into a CSV file.
It works well if you want to regularly pull data or get specific fields which are hard to export using the UI.
If you're not into scripting, the other way is:
Go to Filters - Run your JQL
Then use Export - CSV (all fields)
That works, but it's manual. Python is better if you want to automate it on your end.
Thank you for that information
Hi @Charles BrooksJira does not support built-in automation to directly export issues to a .csv file.For this you can choose 2 solutions.- Use automation to send the required data via JSON to the external source, where it will be parsed and added to the CSV file.- Use JIRA Rest API to get you needed data.
.csv
Hi @Gor Greyan - Can you describe how your answer is different from the one by Hari?
Hi @John FunkAs you can see, Hari didn't provide example for using automation and sending data via JSON))I can't understand, what is the problem in my answer that you refer to it.Thanks.
Hi @John Funk, thanks for the follow-up.
@Gor Greyan – I appreciate your input, but I believe we’re approaching it from different angles:
My answer focuses on real-world implementation using a Python script with REST API, which is something users can actually run to extract specific fields into CSV.
While sending JSON via automation is theoretically possible using webhooks, it requires an external server/parser to listen, parse, and write to CSV—which many teams don’t have in place.
So, if the user needs a plug-and-play solution, the Python+JQL method is faster and more accessible. But definitely agree that webhook + external handler is another path if someone has the infra.
Hope that clears up the difference!
Best,
Hari
Hi @Charles Brooks!
Unfortunately, Jira automation doesn't currently support exporting data directly to a CSV file.
I think you can try to write a Python script that uses the Jira REST API to query your project data. With a combination of JQL and the API, you can try to pull specific fields from issues and export them to CSV.
If you decide to try a faster no-code solution, I recommend paying attention to Issue History for Jira app. It allows filtering specific issue fields and exporting their changes in Excel or CSV formats.
Hi @Charles Brooks ,
If you are open to using apps you can use Issue History Dashboard for Jira (Work Item History) an app released by our company.
You can search all issues history by project, or if you need to filter out there are multiple filtering criteria.
The result is presented in a sortable table that is exportable in CSV format.
Regards,
Petru
Came across this old thread while looking for the same thing. I needed the CSV export to run regularly without doing it manually, so I ended up using Skyvia to pull the Jira fields I needed on a schedule. Worked fine for my case.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.