How to adjust my hierarchy so that I can assign features as parents to stories. Currently I can attach epics as parents to features, but not features to stories. Please, CLEAR instructions.
Hello @Keisha Phoenixx
Welcome to the Atlassian Community.
The numbering is automatic and indicates the parent/child relationships in descending order; i.e. 3's can parent 2's, 2's can parent 1's, 1's can parent 0's.
The Names on the left are just labels - they do not inherently specify the issue types available at that level.
It is what appears in the Work Items Types area that indicates the actual types of issues between which the relationships need to be created.
There are changes you have to make to the hierarchy, but I want to make a few points about the impact of those changes first.
Given the above, if you still want to proceed.
By making the change in that manner you have not actually changed the hierarchy level of any of the work item types, so the pre-existing parent/child relationships should remain intact. All the work items that were previously the Epic types will now show "Feature" as their type name, but they will still appear in the places where "Epics" previously displayed. All the work items previously showing "Feature" as their type name will now show "Epic" as their type name.
Hi @Keisha Phoenixx
Welcome to the community!
To make Features the parent of Stories, you’ll need to adjust the issue type hierarchy under Jira Settings > Issues > Issue Hierarchy. This feature is only available on Jira Software Premium and Enterprise plans, as it uses Advanced Roadmaps.
Currently, it looks like you’ve set Epic above Feature, which means Feature acts as a child of Epic and can't be a direct parent of Story. To fix this:
Update the hierarchy like this:
Once Feature is placed directly above Story, you’ll be able to link Features as parents to Stories.
📌 Reminder: Changes to the hierarchy affect all company-managed projects in the site.
More info: Configure issue hierarchy
Kind RegardsUtkarsh
edit - turns out the below is wrong. It looks like you can from the other user answer. Thats neat!
Can you change your "Feature" to something else like a dummy. That way it may be chooseable in that dropdown you have there for the Epic. Then just rename it on the left.
---
As far as I'm aware, you actually can't do this? Epics are sort of special and have a lot of special interaction between its children and where it appears in views (module section in backlog, swimlanes etc).
Your options are:
How can I do this? I can’t change the numbering from the issue type hierarchy screen.
Please outline step by step how to complete this.
On a side note, this hierarchy applies only to Company Managed projects.
Team Managed projects manage their work item type hierarchy within each such project, and it is limited to 3 levels; the "Epic" level 1, the "standard" work item types at level 0, and one subtask work item type at level -1.
If you need additional levels above Epics to use with Team Managed projects, let me know and I'll provide more information on that topic.
I have a Team Managed project. Would appreciate more information on that topic. Specifically I would like to be able to create a level above Epic so I could implement "Epic"--> "Feature" --> Story/Task/SubTask
Do I correctly understand that you want to set up this issue type hierarchy for a Team Managed project?
"Epic" (level 2)|-- "Feature" (level 1) |-- Story/Task (level 0) |-- SubTask (level -1)
As I mention Team Managed projects support only 3 levels within the project. To add levels above that (level 2 and higher) requires use of a Company Managed project.
The item types at level 2 and above have to be defined Globally and added to the Global Work Item Hierarchy as we described above. Work items of those specific types are created within a Company Managed project, not the Team Managed project. It is then possible to set a level 2 item from the Company Managed project as the parent of a level 1 item in the Team Managed project. Making that link is accomplished through an advanced roadmaps Plan.
You will have to create a Plan that is based on both the Team Managed project and the Company Managed project where your level 2 work items exist.
Documentation on establishing that relationship can be found here:
https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Advanced-planning-articles/Parenting-a-team-managed-epic-with-a-company-managed-initiative/ba-p/2638197
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/link-issue-to-a-parent-in-advanced-roadmaps/
Within your Team Managed project you can change the name of the Epic work item type to Feature.
However, adding a work item named "Epic" to the global hierarchy could be problematic since the Epic work item type used in Company Managed projects needs to continue to exist. I would recommend that you consider some other name for the work item type that would be added at level 2 in the global item hierarchy.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.